Skip to main content

Walking and Leaping

Last night my life group (a group of families from church that meet once a week to share our lives) prayed for my back.  For those of you that don’t know, my back has been giving me so many problems.  It has given me pain, consistent migraines and made me unable to move for days on end.  I have prayed for healing before for others, sometimes it has worked, but more often it has not.  I don’t know though, having someone lay hands on me and pray was a really unique experience for me.  My friend put his hand on my right shoulder, unknown to him, that is the side that is giving me most of my issues.  And he prayed.  He prayed for healing in the name of Jesus.  It was so crazy that as he was praying, I could feel my back start to realign.  Now don’t get me wrong, I have no idea if I am “healed”.  As soon as he was finished praying for me, I sat up and my upper back (again the place giving me so many issues) popped about 10 times.  The muscles surrounding it are still really sore this morning and my head is still hurting, but my upper back almost never “pops” on its own, that many times, usually if it does, it is a small pop here or there, but this was a large pop, and multiple.  Again, I don’t know if God has officially healed me, how amazing would it be if He did?  It made me think back to the days where Jesus was healing people.  Lets just imagine for a moment…

(Story from Acts 3) As a child, you couldn’t run with the other children, your legs wouldn’t allow you to stand, let alone run.  Your legs would hurt you all the time, adjusting your whole life around your legs.  Your parents had to adjust their lives and try to make life work for you.  You just couldn’t move them.  All you ever wanted to do was to be normal, you wanted to be able to walk down the street and not have to be carried, you wanted to be able to contribute to your family, talk to someone without the fear of them judging you.  But you never could, because your legs were paralyzed.  You couldn’t be “normal” because you weren’t born “normal”.  To eat, you had to beg, to beg, you had to rely on others to carry you to the temple gate.  You couldn’t get there on your own.  You are there, feeling sorry for yourself when two men walk up.  They look familiar; you put your best pathetic face on and ask them for money.  They respond and you give them your attention knowing that you are going to get money.  That money might feed you for a day.  Then they say, "I don't have any silver or gold for you. But I'll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and walk!" (Acts 3:6) He grabs you by the hand and you feel something, for the first time in your legs.  You have never felt this before, you feel a strength, the muscles forming, the bones moving.  The man pulls you up to your feet, you are hesitant at first because people have tried to help you before, but you find that you don’t even need them.  Your legs and feet have become strong.  You are able to stand on your own, and not only that- you are able to walk, leap, run!  You felt the miracle, you experienced it, it is real.  You start “walking and leaping” (Acts 3:8).  No one had to teach you to walk as you watched babies have to learn.  No physical therapy to rebuild your muscles or your strength was needed.  You had this life changing experience, you have been healed! 

We may not see drastic healings take place now a days.  We may not see people standing up from their death beads, or walking out of the grave like Lazarus.  Although those miracles can still happen in the name of Jesus, the miracles today are usually shown in different ways.  It could be a diagnosis before something escalates to too far, someone beating cancer, someone’s leg healing when they say that it wont happen, getting pregnant when they told you it was going to be hard or impossible…  the list can go on and on. 

This story isn’t dead though.  We were all lame once.  We all didn’t have working legs and had to rely on others to take us to the gate to beg for our lives.  We all had sin that encompassed us and made us not be able to live the life we are meant to live.  But then we have Jesus come in and our lives change.  We go from the lame sinner on the mat begging for our lives to someone that has a transformed life.  We went from destitute and destruction to divinity and delight.  We were transformed from the lame person to the loved person.  When we asked Jesus into our lives, we were taken from helpless to hopeful.  The question is, what are we going to do with that?  Are we going to forget that we all were that lame man begging and that we are miraculously healed?  Do we forget what it was like to be lame and take the fact that we can walk again for granted?  Do we just assume that now that we can “walk” that our lives should be normal? 

Do you think that the lame man that was able to walk after YEARS of suffering was ever normal?  Do you think that he settled into a normal life?  Do you think that as soon as he left there, he went and got a job and never spoke of the fact that his legs didn’t work, but now they miraculously do?  I don’t- he went walking and leaping and praising God.  He followed them into the temple and praised God.  5 years down the road, I think that it affected his life forever, 10 years, 20 years down the road, I bet he was still telling his story.  I am sure that the story was a party favorite, one that was never far from his lips. 

Why can’t I be that way?  I have been saved, redeemed, rescued, made to walk, but I don’t talk about it, I hide it a lot of times.  I don’t want people to look at me as abnormal.  The reality is though, we had a miracle happen in our lives- we are no longer normal, we are abnormal.  We were lame and can walk – so lets walk and leap and praise God in everything that we do.  Let us run around telling our story and spreading the joy that we have found.  My prayer for each of you is that you feel that joy, that you have that hope, that you have experienced the miracle of being able to walk from a life that isn’t what it was supposed to be, to a walk where you have the ability to walk and leap!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the