Skip to main content

Nails, and How my Brain Turned That to a Bible Verse


Yesterday I went and got my nails done.  I love getting my nails done.  I love the way that they look after they are finished and how I feel like something other than “just mom” after I get them done.  As I was going through my day yesterday before I went to get them done in the evening, I bent one of them completely backwards!  OUCH!!!  For those of you that have ever had fake nails, you know how extremely painful this can be.  The plastic/ acrylic that is on your nails digs into your real nail and leaves quite the mark. 

Since I am in a wedding this weekend, I wanted my nails to be perfect and to have a french manicure done to look as elegant as possible, but now I would have this bright red/bruised section in the middle of my middle finger nail.  I went to go and get my nails “filled” in (where they add acrylic to the bottom part that has grown out since you had them done last).  It was very painful having the bottom of the fake nail removed with my freshly injured nail being exposed to friction, heat, cold and all sorts of pain.  Finally, when it was said and done, the man had finished my nails and they looked good, but I didn’t like the fact that my one nail was very ugly- so I asked for him to do a design on it.  A flower was soon painted on and then red stripes and glitter.  The overall look is amazing and I couldn’t have been happier.

How often does God work great things through our pain?  He can bring beauty from something that we thought was going to be terrible.  I was thinking about the song, “Beauty From Ashes” and googled where it was found in the Bible and this is what came up.  How beautiful is this, and how ironic that it came from a broken nail?!

Isaiah 61:1-3

New International Version (NIV)

The Year of the Lord’s Favor

61 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor

    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
    and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor.

God can take whatever situation you are in and make it beautiful, and He will.  He will take the despair and give you a garment of praise.  He will take those who grieve and give them a crown of beauty instead of ashes (how they would mourn by putting ash on their face).  God can turn any situation around.  You just have to trust and let Him. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the