Skip to main content

Working Out

You know when you start working out (not that I physically do) how your muscles the days after are all sore and stiff?  Even if you did every step and every thing JUST the way your trainer taught you, you can really be feeling it in the morning. You dread any type of movement because you know what type of pain is going to follow it.  You know that you have to get up, get ready and get on with your every day life.  But movement isn’t always comfortable during those days.  It is especially uncomfortable if you haven’t ever worked out before.  We all know that our bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit, and that for health reasons that we need to work out.  Working out gets our heart rate up, it makes our blood flow, makes us sharper, makes us more flexible, makes us stronger, leaner and more attractive. 

So lets look at that in a spiritual way.  We start working out our spiritual muscles.  We have never worked them out before or have taken a break from it.  One day, we dive in and decide, lets get this workout started.  We read our Bible, pray and spend some serious quality time with God.  We ask God to start moving in our life.  And since we asked with a sincere heart and God does hear the prayers of the righteous, he  starts to move and work in our life.

So do we decide that it is okay to keep living the way that we were living before?  When God is moving us in special ways and giving us special direction should we follow it in faith?  Jeremiah 29:11-13, “ ‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.’ “  So do we say – “you know what Lord, this hurts too much – I can’t stand moving right now because I am too sore, I am just going to quit – I gave it the sophomore effort.”  Or do we say “Lord, I know that you are moving me and making me sore to improve my spiritual muscle tone and clarity – to make me a healthier Christian.  To make my following you easier and make me stronger and better equipped to handle what comes my way.” 

With working out physically – if you do it one time, all it serves to do is to make you sore and possibly loose a little weight.  It is when you stick with it that you see the results- it is when you try your hardest to accomplish your goals that you actually see the fruits of your labor.  I have had a lot of friends say that they hated working out when they first started, but they stuck with it and lo and behold, after about 2 weeks of working out – if they missed a day, they actually missed working out.  They longed to work out every day or every other day- not only because it made them feel better about themselves, but because there was an actual drive to move and groove and get back into physical effort- it is the same way with us. 
It is so easy to say – ummmm, I am not going to “work out” spiritually today – I am just too sore- or I don’t want to start working out because I have tried before and it just lead to trouble.  I am not going to get into my Bible I am happy where I am, maybe not healthy, but happy.  I have been there too – there are days that I just don’t want to crack open a Bible and days that even praying seems hard to do.  It is a struggle to get out of bed and live for Christ, but I know for my emotional, spiritual and eternal life, it is so important.  It is usually on these days that the Lord will speak volumes to you- when you “seek him and find him when you seek Him with all your heart.” 

1 Timothy 4:8 “For Physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

And just for the record- we do have the BEST trainer avaiable to us - it is the Bible, and Jesus.  If we follow His example and live our lives with the (how The Way of the Master puts it) concep WDJD- What DID Jesus Do- we can live for Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the