Skip to main content

Is the Grass Greener?

I heard one of the best quotes this weekend.  The speaker said: “the grass isn’t greener on the other side, it is greenest where you fertilize it.”  I am as guilty as the next person thinking that the grass is greener on the other side.  I have wanted to move closer to my family for years now.  I am sure there would be annoyances and heartache and issues that came up and we might regret the move, but to me, it always looked like a better situation.  Now I have a great set of in-laws here in Illinois and I love them and they love us.  We have a great time when we hang out with them and they aren’t overbearing.  They help us when we need them and we help them when they need us.  It is a win-win situation.  But I was always looking at the other situation and dreaming.  Now I am not going to totally take away that dream, as I would love to move closer to home with hills and scenery and my family close by and my old high school friends just a phone call away, but the reality is, it is not going to happen any time soon.

I have been watching some of my friends in situations that have been deteriorating them.  A few of my friends (I wish I could say it was just one) longed to have freedom to do whatever she pleased, but was in a marriage.  Sabotaging that relationship, she gave up things that she is now regretting.  She ended up sad, trying to make the best of the situation and trying to put a positive spin on things.  Another friend was single and wanted so badly to be in a relationship that she compromised everything to be in one.  She knew that she didn’t feel 100% for this guy, but she said it was either be in a relationship (with no commitment), or be alone.  She was emotionally abused and when he ended up breaking up with her, her life was shattered.   

The man that gave me this quote is from the “hearts at home” ministry from Springfield, Illinois.  Definitely worth the google search.  I got to thinking about it after he said it, since I live in the country and we used to have cows, sometimes the best fertilizer is poo.  Yep, I went there.  It seems like I blog a lot about poo.  When the cows would poop, the grass under it would grow stronger and greener and thicker once it made it through the cow patty.  So even though we are in our current situation, and it might seem like there is a lot of poo around us, just remember, you are fertilizing great green grass underneath that!

Hosea 2:7 “She will chase after her lovers but not catch them; she will look for them but not find them.  Then she will say, ‘I will go back to my husband as at first, for then I was better off than now.”

This is about Israel being restored.  The grass seemed greener to look to other gods, to turn away from the true God, to turn to the world and do what they said is best.  But Israel couldn’t find happiness.  So she turned back to God.  Fortunately for us, when we finally decide to come back to God, he is standing there.  Waiting for us. 

Think about the prodigal son: Luke 15:11-32.  He was so excited to get out on his own.  Everyone else is having a blast and having fun and spending money, but I have to sit here and work.  But when everything was gone, he turned back and his father was standing there looking for him, running to him, so glad to see his son return home.  Think of the pain that his father went through, think of the agony that he worried about his son.  The son learned a hard lesson that we can all avoid.  We don’t have to go chasing other things when the best thing that we have is right in front of us the whole time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the