Skip to main content

Save Button

One of the major bummers about technology is if you don’t “save” something that you just worked on it is gone forever.  This Sunday we had an awesome message at church.  Pastor Evan was cracking us up as well as giving us practical lessons from the Bible about how to use and spend our money wisely.  A lot of times when that topic comes up, I just start to tune it out because I married the world’s best money handler EVER so I never have to worry about budgeting or too much month at the end of my money, but this week, I listened and it was really good.  Alas though, my kindle, and the app I was note taking on didn’t save my note properly and now it isn’t there anymore for me to access and look back on.  It was because I didn’t hit the save button on the application.  (I swear I did, but you know).

How many times do we let something go in one ear and out the other?  How often do we forget to hit the “save button” when we find something really great in life or have a great time?  How often do we forget when God triumphs over evil because we forgot to hit the “save button”.  It is hard to save the events of our life all in our heads.  Back in the day they had scribes that would document everything that happened.  King Xerxes in Ester had one of these.  In Ester 6:1-14 tells the story of how the king could not sleep.  He called in his scribe and had him read the chronicles of the record of his reign.  He heard there that Mordecai (Ester’s Relation) had actually saved him by exposing an assassination attempt and that nothing had been done for him, so he honored him in a way that ended up shaming his enemy also.  Really a cool story, but if the King had hit the “save button” in his head, he would have remembered what was due to him.

So many times my kids say something so cute and I think, I wont ever forget that, but then less than 24 hours, the quote gets misquoted.  I have therefore started writing these down.  These adorable quotes that my kids say, I am trying to write them down now.  In the same way, we have the Bible.  It is a great tool for us to see what God has done in the past and what he can do in the future, people have actually written down what God wants us to know. 

James 1:22-25 “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says.  Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.  But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it- he will be blessed in what he does.”

I don’t want to be like the man who goes to the Lord and then blows off what he says.  A lot of times, I am that way.  I will hear a great sermon or read a great devotional, and then go off and do life my own way.  I didn’t hit the “save button”.  I didn’t register it in my head.  I go and do what I want to do anyway.  I want to be looking intently into the perfect law that gives freedom.  I want to take notes and write what God is doing in my life and know where He is and how He is working so I can remember.  I need to be sure to hit the “save button” on life and with God always! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps