Skip to main content

The Prodigal Son

I have always harbored a secret resentment toward the parable of the Prodigal Son.  I have always been the goodie-goodie and it never seemed fair that the one son got to go out and have all the “fun” and then come back and get a party.  I totally got where the older brother was coming from!  I would get so frustrated reading this story because I would think, they chose to go away from God, chose to go out partying and now they want to come back?  What about the one that had been true?  What about the good ones that have been here the whole time?  Why don’t we get a party?  Why don’t we get the robe and the fattened calf?  Now don’t get me wrong, I am always happy when someone comes back into the will of God, and overjoyed when a lost soul gets saved, but for some reason, I would get so mad because I was being selfish. 

Well, I was thinking all this until last night when God put on my heart something heavy.  As I blogged about yesterday, we have a little 4-year old friend who is in the PICU.  My heart is breaking for him.  He is so sick and his parents are watching over him every step of the way.  He is a strong little man, but it is so scary to read some of the updates and hear some of what they are going through.  Last night as I was praying for him, I had a vision of his parents walking him into a huge room and hundreds of people that have been praying for him were there, we were all so excited to see him.  There was a huge party.  His big brother and little sister danced and partied because they had their brother back.  There wasn’t bitterness, there wasn’t sadness on their part, they were just happy to have their brother back and have him healthy again. 

Sin is a sickness.  It is a terrible sickness.  When someone goes off the deep-end and is being ridiculous and being out of God’s will, God is watching them.  He is at their bed-side sitting there, praying.  Many people that don’t even know that person are already praying for them.  When they start to recover and get better, God is watching, he is looking out for his son and is ready and waiting to throw him the biggest welcome home, so glad you are better, party ever. 
In the story – in Luke 15:28-32  28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’ 31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”  (The Message)

All of us- as their brothers and sisters in Christ should want to celebrate with them because we are so happy that their sickness is over.  We should want to rejoice because they were at the brink of death and rebounded, came back and came home to be with us.  Now we have our brother/sister back.  We have a friend, companion and confidant back.  Their story might be a little “better” than mine, but my story, being tried and true to God, is just as good because I want to be sitting, watching, waiting, praying, just like my friends are over their sick little boy. 

Again, I have always rejoiced when someone came to the Lord.  I have always rejoiced when one that was lost was found, but I never understood how I should or would be celebrating it before. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the