Skip to main content

We Three Kings of Glory and Tar...


Yesterday we were getting ready for church.  My 4-year-old loves to sing, and really, she does pretty well staying on pitch and hitting the notes.  However, she doesn’t always get the words right.  She is still in the Christmas spirit and was singing “We Three Kings”, my husband and I had to laugh when from the bathroom as she is washing her hands, her sweet little singing voice  belts out…“We Three Kings of glory and tar…”  It took us few seconds to regain out composure and we asked her what she said.  She told us, glory and tar were the right words.  We tried to explain that it is actually “orient are”, but she wouldn’t hear it. 

My other daughter loves to sing also, her favorite song has to be Twinkle, Twinkle.  Her little 3-year-old voice is super cute when it sings, and she can sometimes stay on pitch and sometimes carry a tune, but the words are pretty much always wrong.  “Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are, Up above down below, twinkle, twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are”. 

How often do we hear something over and over again and think that we actually know what the right words are?  When I was younger I had no idea that Hebrews was actually a book of the Bible, I thought that someone actually bruised James…  The things that we hear from people become reality.  This is acceptable because the Bible says that we have to love one another…  That is acceptable because the Bible says….  We should turn the other cheek when someone is mean to us….   It is so easy to listen to what other people say and say, that is truth, that is fact…  That person is smarter than I am, so I am going to listen to them and not investigate on my own. 

You can’t always just take someone’s word for it.  If you are like me, you have to dig deeper, investigate, look into the issue and the problem and search for the truth in the matter.  That is why you HAVE to read your Bible, you have to spend time with God, you have to really study and develop a relationship of your own with our Lord so that He can work to make things clear to you. 

With that said, you want to surround yourself with people that are doing the same so that you can ask for guidance and direction, but ultimately, you have to make the decisions on your own.  Iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another (proverbs 27:17).

I know that once my 4 year old can read better and we show her the actual words to the song, she will know that she was incorrect singing “glory and tar”, I know that when I am wrong in something, I sometimes need others to point it out to me and help me look into the Bible for direction and guidance.  I know that I need to seek God’s advice on my big problems and go to Him in prayer. 

I used to love Reading Rainbow, and yes, I know that I just dated myself!  Lamar used to take a book and read it and say something like, there are a lot of great books at your library, “but don’t take my word for it…”.  Keep strong Christians around you.  Seek advice from Godly people.  Seek advice like it says to do in Proverbs 15 and 11, but most importantly, see God.  Seek God’s will, seek Him and He will make your paths straight. 

Psalm 37:3-9
Trust in the Lord and do good;
    dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord;
    trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
    your vindication like the noonday sun.
Be still before the Lord
    and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when people succeed in their ways,
    when they carry out their wicked schemes.
Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
    do not fret—it leads only to evil.
For those who are evil will be destroyed,
    but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the