Skip to main content

Uniform


It is Sunday.  I roll over in my bed, grab my phone that inevitably woke me up last night begging to be charged, and turn off my alarm.  Stretching, I reach out and click on the 40-watt lamp that is next to my bed.  As I sit up, and stretch some more, working the kinks out of my back and neck I think to myself, what am I going to wear today?  Looking at my clock and seeing that it is 7:00, I remember that we are teaching one of our two daughter’s classes this week.  It is Sunday.

Taking a breath, I will myself out of the bed, feet first, hoping that the momentum of swinging my feet out of the bed will give me some sort of energy.  I shuffle sleepily into the kitchen, start my coffee and go back towards my room.  Entering the room I hear the bed calling my name, begging me to get back into it for just 5 more minutes.  My body is thrown off from the extra 30 minutes it already got.  Heading into our bathroom, I turn on the shower faucet and wait for it to warm up.  Waiting…. Waiting….  Waiting…. Usually I amuse myself by weighing myself on one of our two scales situated next to our vanity, I don’t know why I do this, the number is never really amusing.  The question is still in the back of my head, what can I wear today? 

The church we attend is an amazing church.  No perfect people are allowed, and therefore, everyone is welcome.  It is a church that is really focusing on the family and on the age group and demographic that is often times left out, the 20s and 30s.  We love our church.  Our church has adopted an amazing curriculum for cradle through college.  The kids are saturated in God’s love every time they walk into the rooms.  One of the concepts that they have there is that what the church teaches our kids is considered yellow, and what we teach our kids is considered red, when you combine those two colors, it makes Orange.  They work with the parents to ensure that the kids are not only getting the lessons at church, but also at home. 


Whenever anyone wants to volunteer to teach a class, they go through a background check, and a spiritual gifts test to see where they would best fit in the program.  We fit well into the 2-5 year old range (that is actually the age of our kids).  When you are told where you will be volunteering, you are presented with a BRIGHT orange shirt that reads “Our Kids Rock”.  Recently, the church has switched over to 2 services and with that change, my husband and I have taken on more teaching shifts.  We teach every week other than the 2nd week.  Now I say this not only to brag on the church, but also so you understand the next part of the story. 

Back to Sunday…  Most Sundays, I don’t have to wonder what I am going to wear, because it has been pre-assigned to me.  I am going to wear my jeans, so I can move around with the kids, and wear my bright orange shirt.  It is my uniform.  My husband wears a uniform shirt to work everyday and therefore never has to wonder what he is going to be wearing.  I like that, it not only gives me less of a hassle in the morning when I am getting ready for church, it also shows the parents that are entrusting their children, that I belong there, that I have been screened. 

A uniform is pretty cool if you think about it.  At a glance, someone can tell if you work somewhere or if you go to school at a certain school.  (I have learned however not to wear khakis and a blue shirt to walmart!)  The uniform lets people easily identify you for guidance and help.  It allows them to know where you belong.  God gave us a uniform too. 

Ephesians 6

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. 11Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, 15and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE; 16in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

When we have this armor on, we are able to stand up against the schemes of the devil.  When we center TRUTH and RIGHTEOUSNESS (see blog entitled righteousness) and PEACE and FAITH and SALVATION and SPIRT as our daily uniform, people will see and recognize us as part of the Army of the Lord.  We don’t have to worry about how we are going to act that day, because it is pre-determined for us.  We know we are to be truthful, righteous, peacemakers, have faith that God will work it out and show that we have a salvation that is like no other.  The sword to cut down those opposing us, those trying to break our armor is the sword or the Spirit and that is the word of God. 

So every morning, put on the Armor of God.  Put your uniform on, make it a habit, take comfort in it and make others want to wear the armor too!  Peace and Blessings Y’all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the