Skip to main content

First Impressions

I had just sent my co-worker to lunch and was settling in at the front desk when she arrived.  She was around 5’4” skinny as a rail long brown hair pulled up into a tight pony tail.  Behind her scurried a woman of 50 or so, carrying a pumpkin seat and looking frightened.  As she walked down the hall I could hear her before I saw her.  She was telling her companion to hurry up, be sure to keep that baby quiet, and she was cussing every other word.  She came in, attitude oozing out of every pore, and informed me that she wanted a job.  At this time, I was working at a staffing agency as a manager of this office.  I started to explain our application process and she continually rolled her eyes.  We had an in depth application process, and she interrupted me with a “how long is this gonna take?” in a very perturbed voice.  After seeing how she was interacting with me and with her companion, I informed her that it took around an hour, but seeing her attitude I could tell her now that she wasn’t right for the customer service positions that we had available and I wasn’t going to waste her time or mine.  I told her, she could fill out the application and I could put her into the system if something else came available. 
Apparently, no one had ever stood up to this girl before.  Her 50-year-old companion’s eyes widened and I could hear her inhale deeply.  Then, the girl went off!  I can honestly say I have officially been cussed out and had my life threatened now.  She informed me that she didn’t need my job and the place where I could put it.  She also informed me that she was going to call her friends and be waiting for me outside to take me out.  It was a lovely situation, one that I would rather not repeat, but a good learning experience none the less.
First impressions are huge.  She didn’t care about anyone but herself.  She couldn’t have cared less if people thought that she was a terror on two feet.  There are so many days that I am on a tirade, or super busy or on a mission that I am so focused in on, I never see what is around me.  I don’t see the person in the corner observing me and seeing that is how a Christian acts.  I don’t see the person hurting, and even if I do, I don’t have time for them.  I live my life intentionally, on a mission, running from one thing to the next.  I don’t usually stop and look around me.  What if I did?
Would I see the pain in my daughter’s eyes when I tell her, mommy is busy, I can’t sit with you right now. Would I gain friendships that are amazing?  My personality is a go, go, go personality.  I have to take time and backup from that and make it a take time out personality.  I have to be intentional because for me, it doesn’t come naturally. 
It makes me think about the Parable of the Good Samaritan.  I am pretty sure most know this story already, but go and look at it again in Luke 10:30-37.  The jist of the story is that a man was stripped, robbed and beaten, lying there on the road. In verse 31, a priest comes by.  It doesn’t say he was a bad priest, it doesn’t say that he was too busy, he might have been a great priest, but too busy for this injured man.  Maybe he thought, this man is going to hurt me, or I just don’t have time for this, maybe he thought that he was a drug addict and wouldn’t listen to him anyway, he went to the other side of the road to avoid him.  Then comes a Levite. Someone who is trusted in the land, someone who does a lot for the church.  He sees this man and passes to the other side of the road also.  How many times do we pass to the other side of the road?  How often are we the ones too busy, too important, too scared to help someone obviously in need.
Then came the Samaritan.  The Samaritan was someone who ended up showing love, kindness and mercy.  Do I want to be the person who comes in, runs around on a mission and leaves someone there on the ground dying, bleeding, broken and alone or do I want to be the kind of person who is compassionate, loving and helps those in need?  Taking a step back today and focusing on what is real. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the