Skip to main content

Trip to the Dentist

Going to the dentist is never a fun experience.  But it gets even worse when you have a couple thousand dollars worth of work to do on your mouth.  As I was sitting in the chair, hearing the whizzing drill and feeling water shoot through my mouth, I was thinking.  (Thinking is what I had to do since Novocain doesn’t work very well on me.)  Sometimes our lives are like teeth.  We try our hardest to maintain it by ourselves.  We clean it and polish it.  We get it cleaned at church and ultimately, if we maintain it properly, there are no problems. 

Inevitably though, we get a cavity.  YIKES!  Something that is causing our life to decay.  Something that is eating away at the good strong tooth.  With our teeth, we dread the words, “you need a filling” like it is someone telling us that we have to eat straight vinegar.  Finally, when you go to get that filling done, you get laid back in the chair and a needle is brought to your mouth and you feel pinching and moving near where the cavity is.  Fortunately, the dentist has decided to numb you first.  He sits there for a little while and waits for the Novocain to start working and your mouth starts feeling fat and silly.  Then you hear it.  The drill starts to buzz and the water starts to move around and choke you in the back of your mouth.  If the Novocain is working, then you don’t really feel too much, you feel a little pressure here and there, and it isn’t comfortable.  If the Novocain doesn’t work (like it doesn’t for me) you feel some sharp pains as they hit specific nerves and spots on your teeth. Ultimately though ,you will end up leaving with a fresh new start.  A new tooth that is problem free.

So how is that like life?  Well…  We could be going through life all good- like we don’t need help, we are doing fine on our own.  We don’t realize that there is a cavity growing and eating away inside our life.  For me, wint-o-green lifesavers were my down fall in high school.  I would eat about 3 packs of them a day.  I could go through a pack in a half hour.  They were just THAT good.  Unfortunately, that bad habit turned my teeth into cavity central and I had 8 cavities in result of those.  We might be indulging in something that we really like in life.  We don’t see it eating away at our life.  We don’t see the hole growing under the surface and since it is under the surface, we don’t feel it.  When we finally go to God and say- examine me, he says, well- you have a cavity and you need a filling.  That space needs to be cleaned out and filled with my love, my grace, my hope, with ME. If we go to God on a consistent basis, we won’t be needing all that much work done, it is when we don’t go for a while and really stray away from the things God tells us to do.  (the dentist tells us to stay away from sugar, brush etc…)

It isn’t always a comfortable process when we let God work on the cavity spots in our lives.  A lot of times, it isn’t comfortable at all.  We might not be all the way numb to it.  But in the end, we know that this is the best thing that we can do because ultimately, our teeth (life) is very important and we need our teeth for important functions.  We need to have good teeth to be good examples for our children. 
2 Corinthians 5:17 says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”  Are we going to let God come in and fix the cavities that have formed in our lives?  Are we to the point of needing something more serious like a crown or a root canal?  We need to commit to letting God in and letting him work on our lives and just trust that he is doing the right thing.  He is the professional, we aren’t!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the