Skip to main content

Do we deserve anything?

Hebrews 6: 10-12 “God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.  We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure.  We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.”

What else could go wrong?  This is how God repays me?  Does God HATE me?  Can I sink any lower?  It is so easy to question God’s timing sometimes.  Sometimes it feels like you have done so much for Him and then things just don’t seem to go right – there is nothing that you can do to make anything better, but life just deteriorates.  I have heard it so many times, “God isn’t fair”.

Something to think about though: all that you have done and sacrificed for Him, is that anywhere close to what He sacrificed for you?  I mean really, God could just say, I sacrificed my SON for you – do you get that?  Why would I have to do anything else for you?  Fortunately, He isn’t like that.  Fortunately God loves us.  Fortunately, “through faith and patience” we will inherit what has been promised us by Jesus. 

I read an article this morning about Christian persecution.  About how a lot of the Muslim world, although (according to the article) not said to do so in the Koran, is abusing Christians, imprisoning them, beating them, raping them etc…  The majority of us have heard of the Iranian Pastor that is in prison, on death row, due to be executed for sharing the gospel.  I know that we aren’t in their shoes and that our lives revolve around something different, but put you in their shoes. 

You are part of a Muslim nation but know that the ONE TRUE GOD is our God and Jesus is His son.  You convert to Christianity.  Someone finds out, you are disowned from your family, you may be beaten, abused, loose your job, loose your friends, be imprisoned, be killed…  Physical and emotional abuse follows.  You have a small group of individuals from your small home church to support you, but you cannot say on Facebook or anywhere else what is going on, you may not even be able to access that.  You don’t have the support of everyone around you.  Life is grinding to a screeching halt, but you know you have faith that God will provide, that ultimately, no matter how terrible things are, you have an eternal promise in Heaven. 

What is happening in your life?  What is going on that makes you shout to God and say “how could you Lord?”  Do you have the faith to say, whatever is going on, “Lord, I still love you”?  We have a sense of entitlement often times.  We do this and this and this, we deserve this or that.  While watching “Parks and Recreation” last night, they had a day called, “Treat Your Self” where no matter what they wanted, they bought because it was one day that they got to do things for them.  In reality, in the real world, do we feel like we always deserve to treat ourselves? 

Do not become lazy with a sense of entitlement, but imitate those who with faith and patience will inherit what has been promised. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the