Skip to main content

Spirit of Sonship

Romans 8: 9-15 “You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.  And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.  But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness…. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry, “Abba, Father.”

Praise God that we can turn to the Spirit.  Praise God we have been given the Spirit of sonship.  But as sons and daughters of anyone, every so often is it easy to rebel.  To say, I don’t care, I everyone else is doing it.  When we asked Christ into our hearts, and the Holy Spirit entered our bodies, it took up residence in us.  It began a good work in us.  Just like our earthly parents raised us to be good, moral individuals, it is still easy to stray from what they have taught us and what we know is true and righteous. 

I remember the first time I ever said a bad word.  I was around 6 and living in Long Beach, California.  We lived across the street from the school and I can recall going across a big bridge that went over a very busy road to go and see my sister who was in the middle school.  As I would pass over that bridge, graffitied everywhere were cuss words.  I had asked my mom what they meant and she told me that they were bad words that I was not supposed to ever say.  So, being a kid, I went into the bathroom that night and held up my middle finger 3 times and said the f-word twice.  After I did it, I was gripped by fear, I ran out of that bathroom and told my mommy right away and cried into her chest.  The spirit that my parents had instilled in my was telling me that what I had done was wrong. 

The first time that we do something wrong, we know that it is wrong.  We are convicted, we feel terrible for disobeying our father.  It is at this time that we have to make the decision, do we run to him and throw our arms out confessing what we did and how terrible it was, or do we try to hide it from God? 

Parents always seem to know if you did something that you weren’t supposed to do.  The first time I drank when I was underage (and the last time too), I was at my cousin’s apartment for the fourth of July.  He was mixing up drinks and my older sister (also underage) and I were drinking them.  I remember my sister writing a note to one of her friends telling them what all she drank, and my parents of course found said note.  I also remember her lying to protect my cousin.  Since she lied, I had to lie too.  It was terrible.  I hated lying and at that time, I had to choose who I was going to be loyal to, my sister or my parents.  Was I going to tell my parents the truth or keep my sister’s secret?  Ultimately I chose to keep the secret and it ate at me for years and years and years.  Finally when I got up enough guts to tell about what REALLY  happened that day, my sister had move out and was married and I was in college.  When I did tell my parents, they said that they knew.  That was it, they knew and they appreciated me telling them.  If my earthly parents know stuff that I have been struggling to keep a secret from, don’t you think that God, our Heavenly Father knows too? 

We have the choice when we do wrong.  We are convicted usually right then and there and we can either (wo)man up and confess or we can ignore that feeling and then usually it is so much easier to do something else bad.  When we became a son/daughter of Christ, we said, please take me into your family, I want to love you, honor your name and be a good example for this family. We didn’t go in with the intention to scar and mar the name of God.  Fortunately, we are allowed to cry “Abba, Father” to God.  He has given us a Spirit of sonship.  We chose that spirit and lets not let our Father down. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the