Skip to main content

the Great Physician

For the past month or so I have been dealing with a shooting pain in my lower back.  I just knew it was my kidneys.  I had had kidney stones before, I had been through it all before, I just knew that is what it was.  When the pain first started, I figured that the doctor was going to tell me to drink water and let them pass.  So I upped my water intake and started letting them try to pass.  I didn’t go into the doctor since I knew what it was and how to fix it.  Finally after a month of pain and many sleepless nights I gave in and called the doctor.  Earlier that day, I had gone on line and looked up my symptoms and it was showing that I could be having kidney failure, or cancer.  So I went to the doctor, very apprehensive. 

When I was at the doctor, with my two kids, they did the urine test and after the LPN came in, she started asking me all kinds of questions that had nothing to do with my kidneys.  Didn’t she know that it was my kidneys that were bothering me?  She had me stand with my heels against the wall and marked on the wall where my shoulders sat when I was standing straight.  Lo and behold- there is a 2-3 inch difference in my shoulder height. 

“Your kidneys are fine,” she says, “but you have scoliosis.”  Right before we were married, I had been diagnosed with slight scoliosis.  I was told “it shouldn’t affect your life though”.  Well after years of headaches and back aches- I can say that it truly has.  So, there is no way to solve scoliosis, there are ways to help it stop progressing (because usually in adults it doesn’t stop).  They prescribed me a bunch of meds to ease the pain and x-rays with a potential of physical therapy.  My question for myself though is, why I didn’t go in when it started hurting?  My back actually started hurting about 6 months ago.  Instead I have sat here in pain for 6 months when I cold be working on the solution.  I have done a self diagnosis instead of letting the professionals tell me what is wrong.  I have let the problem fester for an additional 6 months longer than I needed to!

How often do we do that in normal life?  I know what my problem is and I am going to fix it.  Forget going to a professional, I am going to ask my friends and on-line and solve the problem myself.  What if there is a problem in your spiritual life?  Maybe you feel down and alone and afraid, all you want to do is to get better and you have tried everything.  Have you tried going to God?  Have you tried going to the great physician? 

Luke 4:23: And He said to them, “No doubt you will quote this proverb to Me, ‘Physician, heal yourself!”

Matt. 9:12-13: But when He heard this, He said, “It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick. But go and learn what this means, I desire compassion, and not sacrifice, for I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”

The word used for physician in Greek was iatros, derived from iaomai, which refers to spiritual as well as physical healing.  Jesus was undoubtedly using the word “physician” to refer both to the spiritual and physical aspects of healing that He commanded.

So now I know that I am going when my problems first arise, that I am not going to wait either physically or spiritually, I will bring it to my GREAT physician.  Deep, right?  Have a splendid day everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the