Skip to main content

Lessons from my pool... pt 2

This summer I was privileged enough to get to go spend 10 days with my fantastic family in another state.  That story is a crazy one in itself where my dog had puppies and I was bringing home 4 extra kids and my husband was out of the country and not with us…  but that story is for another time possibly.  The beauty of getting to spend time away from reality and real life is awesome.  The amount of time that I chose to do it though was too long.  I had left my schedule, and more importantly, my kids’ schedule for 10 days and then had visitors for another week, it took us a month to finally get back to normalcy, again though, another time. 

We left our life here for 10 days.  Ten days our pool sat unattended.  It was hot.  I don’t know if you are aware of the record-breaking summer that we have had.  There has been ridiculous heat, no rain and straight sunlight for the majority of the summer.  It has been HOT – perfect pool weather, right?  Well leaving a pool stagnant for 10 straight days means you come home to a mess. 

I was counting on the pool to be a source of entertainment for my children and guests when we came home; instead it looked more like a biology experiment.  There were these bugs in there that had a circle body and two appendages and were swimming around.  The water was GREEN and had so much stuff floating and on the bottom of it, I was beyond disgusted. 

We left our pool standing for 10 days.  In the grand scheme of things, that isn’t that long of a time, but for a pool, that is a long time.  What happens when we let our relationship with God go stagnant for 10 days?  Does sin creep in and start producing bugs and disgusting junk all through it? 

Sometimes it is easier to say, “I am just taking a break from devotions”, or “I am on vacation” so we leave our relationship with God at home and focus on the here and the now and the world instead of knowing if we maintain it daily, there will be so much less clean up afterwards.  If we keep on focusing, daily, on Christ and what He did for us, we wouldn’t have to start from scratch. 

Have you ever read Hebrews 6?  I am now officially in love with this chapter of the Bible.  Go- read it!!!! Here is one verse that I loved, but you really need to read the whole chapter: verse 12 “Then you will not become spiritually dull and indifferent.  Instead, you will follow the example of those who are going to inherit God’s promises because of their faith and endurance.” (NLT)  

We tried to clean our pool with chemicals.  We used one of those net things and a pool vacuum (that isn’t the best).  We turned on the filter and cleaned it regularly when we got home.  We were told we weren’t supposed to fill it because there was a drought.  Ultimately, since it is such a tiny pool, we did end up draining it, bleach cleaning it and starting from scratch. 

We have hardly been in the pool this summer.  I wont go in because, 1) I don’t really like pools and, 2) it is constantly getting nasty.  We have been very busy and so the pool has been going green off and on.  We try to stay on top of it, but it is so hard.  The thing is that when we actually do want to swim, we can’t because the pool is so disgusting.  

Is our relationship with God that way?  Do we only use it when we want to?  When we are ready to use our relationship with God, do we have to bleach clean it, drain and refill it?   Think of Moses.  When Moses found out who he was, he rejected the way he was brought up.  He refused to be called Pharaoh’s Daughter’s son- he chose to live life and be persecuted and lead his people out of Egypt.  Think of Noah, he chose to build an ark when there was no water around and everyone was laughing at him.  (Read Hebrews 11 while you are reading chapter 6!!!) Wouldn’t it have been easier to say, nope, I am taking a break – I am going to just leave it for a bit and see what happens.

Hebrews 11: 1 and 3, “Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see… By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God’s command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen.”  Have Faith- work on your faith daily.  Maintain your relationship with God so that it does not grow green and crusty and start sprouting life that you don’t want in there.  Believe in what you see as the creation around you and what you have been promised in the Bible.  Don’t let your love and passions grow cold, as I have done in the past.  Believe me, it takes a lot to restore your life back to the clear waters of the pool that you once had.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the