Skip to main content

lessons from my pool... pt 3

Back to the pool I go.  This will probably be my last although there is so much more I have learned from it, I guess I do not want to beat a dead horse.  What do you think of when you think of a pool?  Most people think of a refreshing, relaxing experience.  Maybe you think of the chlorine smell and the cool water over your body or maybe floating on a float and relaxing in the sun.  Usually though it is some sort of refreshment.  Even swimmers that compete feel refreshed after getting out of a pool to do their workout. 

What did I think of when seeing my pool?  I thought, I am going to have to scrub down after going in there.  The whole time I am in there, I am going to have to be cleaning out bugs.  Granted, this is a little pool and the filter isn’t working very well, but those are my thoughts when I think of our little 10 foot round pool. 

For a while, I was struggling with my devotions.  I didn’t want to do them because I knew that my life was needing maintenance and I didn’t feel like going through the maintenance and working on the areas in my life that needed it.  I wasn’t wanting to take the junk out of my life because it was too much work, so I just ignored it.  Well as you ignore the mess that is accumulating, all it is doing is just building up and building up and building up and making it harder to get back to the life you had before. 

It wasn’t refreshing for me to go to the Bible again because I knew that I had to work on areas that I didn’t want to work on.  I knew that I needed to let God work on my quite a bit in my life, but I didn’t want to, it was too hard- so instead of being refreshed and working on having something refreshing to look forward to, I was getting more panicked about it.  I was looking at it not with disgust, but with a “stay away from there” attitude.  I just stayed away from it- easier to just avoid it than to try to go swimming in muck filled waters and try to clean it all up. 

What is great though is that we have a helper- we have a pool maintenance man that will come in and do all the hard work for us.  HOW I WISH I HAD THAT FOR MY REAL POOL!  The pool maintenance man will help us clean up everything – it wont necessarily be easy, or fast, but God will come in and start cleaning up all the junk in our life- he will scrape away at the built up muck until we have sparkling waters again.  We just have to let him. 

I can’t sit there and just say, “it is clean enough, but I wouldn’t go in it”, I need to let God work though everything and work on cleaning up and work with Him to maintain my life so that I don’t become nasty, stagnant water, filled with bad gross things that I wouldn’t want to be part of at all. 

1 Timothy 1:5
“The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.”


With that said… 

Philippians 1:9-10
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ…”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the