Skip to main content

Lucky, lucky

I went off blogging for a while as I settled into a new church, a new role and a new period of my life, but I realized how much I miss writing, how doing this keeps me accountable to doing my Bible reading and how I connect with people by my blog.  So I am back after a short hiatus, and if you are reading this, I want to thank you for your support. 

Someone asked me the other day, “how are you so lucky?”  I just smiled, I am lucky- but the thing that makes me lucky isn’t the fact that I have the most amazing husband of 9 years, 2 girls, stay at home, have great parents, fun sisters, good in-laws, a great church, good fiends.  That is only what they see on the outside.  I am “lucky” as they put it because Jesus loved me enough to die on the cross for my sins and I know it.  So my attitude daily isn’t about what I don’t have, it is about what I have in life.

I could sit here and have a bad attitude about how I don’t have a basement, cable, new cars, how the storm the other night ripped off shingles and ruined a lot at our house, that I don’t live where I want to, and I could be snarkey about things that have happened in my past, or about how certain people have treated me recently, but I try to choose not to be.  That is how I am lucky- THAT is what makes me lucky. 

My attitude is not always good.  It is not always happy, it is a lot of times negative and mean, but I find when I start my day out right (reading my Bible and prayer), then my attitude is much better.  Colossians 4:2 says “Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving” (NASB) 

My daughter has a great little Veggie Tales devotional that we read at night.  The other night it had a poem in there that was found in the donut shop.  The basis of it was focus on the donut and not the whole.  Don’t focus on what you don’t have, instead, focus on what you DO have. 

I can’t tell you how many people I talk to that feel alone, that feel neglected and used.  People feel that they deserve something and they don’t get it, material or emotional, and they get really bent out of shape about it.  It is understandable that attitudes are bad when that is what you dwell on.  I feel that way a lot of times.  What I tell the people that I work with is to start focusing on the good things and being thankful for it.  We have had to look for good in a light bulb before!  But, once you find good in one thing, it is easier to find the good in a second thing, a third thing and then a fourth and then your whole life.  I love this passage in 1 Peter. 

1 Peter 3: 8-11 “To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for he very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.  For ‘the one who desires life must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit.  He must turn away from evil and do good; he must seek peace and purse it.’ “

It is our charge to seek peace in our life- not toil.  We are doing a great series at church called “Better”- when life hands you choices, choose BETTER…  I loved the message this past Sunday about how sometimes we have to let go of what we consider good to grab onto the better…  in Ecclesiastes 6 it says “Better one handful with tranquility than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind.” 

Why chase after what you don’t have instead of being truly grateful for what you do have and we have a lot!  We have a God that loves us and loved us enough to create us, send His Son to earth to die on the cross for our sins.  We have churches that want to be part of your life and help you get through the hard times (if you are looking for an awesome church in the Mattoon, Charleston area, we are so blessed by ours and our life group there.  It is called The Fields).  We have family, friends, loved ones that can be supportive and we have great and easy ways to connect to everyone and have more resources available for help today than ever in history.  Take advantage of our blessings – grab the handful of tranquility and not of toil….

Comments

  1. You are a true blessing and help to really put things in perspective in a positive way. You are a joy to be a round and it is a blessing to call you a friend. Today I choose to meditate on this and apply. I have taken up a new outlook on life here recently after something negative happened and I am determined to change my attitude and the way I live life daily.
    Your blog REALLY helps me to think, focus, study and apply the wisdom shared.
    So let me tell you from the bottom of my heart how thanful I am for YOU and for your willingness to share THIS, your study with us.
    (your gushy emotional, but honest friend)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so sweet- and a blessing to have as a friend too - hugs and more hugs :P have a blessed day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the