Skip to main content

Don't Bear False Report


One of my pet-peeves lately is people posting or forwarding things to me without checking out the validity of them first.  It looks like something they want to share, and so they share it and they don’t really care if it is accurate or not.  Putting things out into the world about politics, religion, the army, the church, and the list goes on and on.  So often, we hear something that we are shocked with and then don’t go and check out the validity of the statement. 

I remember in high school the facts got skewed and I was ultimately threatened to be “beat down” because of something that I never said.  One of the “snob squad” was dating someone or another and approached me and said that I had no right to call her a “slut”.  I hadn’t called her one!  Somehow, somewhere, someone said something about me and it grew and grew without my knowledge and ultimately, I almost go beaten up about it.  After being shoved down to the ground my heroic big senior class sister (who was the only one allowed to be mean to me apparently) stepped in with her friends and came to my rescue.  They didn’t defend my honor, instead, they just threatened to make her life terrible if she ever spoke to me again.  For you men out there, this is the way girls fight.  Ironically, 2 years later, this girl and I were quite cordial. 

Have you ever been part of a rumor mill?  Have you ever watched the Veggie Tales about the Rumor Weed?  It is actually a great lesson!  So often, we take one little fact and stretch it to become our reality- we take one small thing someone does or says and stretch it to be something that they didn’t say, didn’t mean and didn’t intend.  The media is extremely guilty of this! 

Whatever happened to a concept of people thinking for themselves instead of taking one good or bad thing and running with it to either sanctify or vilify one person or position?  The Bible tells us in Exodus 23: 1-2 “ 1“You shall not bear a false report; do not join your hand with a wicked man to be a malicious witness.2“You shall not follow the masses in doing evil, nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after a multitude in order to pervert justice; 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like most of the politicians out there, and I don’t support the negative things happening in the world, but I also check out the different things before I repeat them.  A great site to do this on is snopes.com it allows you to type in what you are looking for and get the history behind the statement.  I also try to find the validity of the good things that are re-posted too. 

With that said, check into things before you spread them.  Make sure that you are not bearing false repots and joining your hand in wicked just to be malicious.  Just do good!  That is easy – just do what God is called you to do.  Love your neighbor as yourself, lean not on your own understanding, acknowledge God…  (Proverbs 3:5). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the