Skip to main content

Renovation


The past 5 days I have been without a computer.  It has been a little freeing.  Most of us don’t remember a time that there weren’t computers that took over our daily lives.  A Time when facebook, TV, Pinterest, MySpace (back in the day), IM or some type of technology didn’t dominate our every waking minute.  My husband and I have been re-doing our floors.  Tearing up the carpet and putting down hard wood laminate flooring which is looking AMAZING if I do say so myself.  During this time, our home has been a disaster area.  All this time, I Am also throwing a bridal shower for a friend of mine tomorrow too. 

First, I just want to say that it is physically demanding to actually move all the furniture, take off the trim, tear up carpet, move said carpet, pull up the carpet pad and all the staples to which they were a little over excited about when laying our carpet, then sweeping, laying a different pad, putting down the tongue and groove laminate and trying so hard to get it to fit around doors and corners and finally re-applying the trim.  I get tiered just writing it!  We have officially done one room.  One room of the 4 we are working on is done, and it just happens to be the smallest room!  The second room is very close to being done, we have to re-apply the trim and the third room should have the floor laid tonight if not the trim finished.  All the rooms are attached together.  I have gained a lot of respect for people that do this sort of thing for a living.  I of course have looked at this as an opportunity to paint the walls also…  YEAH….

Second, doing anything when your house is in shambles and looks like hoarderville is incredibly difficult.  I can’t tell you how difficult it has been for me having to turn sideways to walk through certain areas of my home where displaced furniture is waiting to be put back.  My children have been eating meals from the freezer, or cereal for many of their meals.  I haven’t had a computer so the bridal shower things haven’t been going together as they should, and frankly, just WHAT A MESS!!!!

So, how does one take this and find the golden nugget in this situation?  Well, God has really been revealing to me that when He is working on certain areas of my life, things might be difficult, things might not be comfortable and I might not get everything that I set out to get accomplished done.  My life might be displaced and misplaced with saw dust EVERYWHERE (seriously, everywhere!) but, the end result is so much better than I could have imagined.  It is hard work, but totally worth it.  My home is finally feeling more home like to me, and if God needs to work on certain areas of my life to make it more home like for Him, then I should let Him because the end result is awesome. 

Philippians 2 is an awesome chapter of the Bible, as most of the chapters in the Bible are.  I loved verse 13 in that book; “for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.”

So if you are in a difficult time, let God work on your home for Him.  Our bodies are temples of His Spirit so let Him work.  It might make you extremely uncomfortable for a while and throw you off your routine and make you have to work a little harder to achieve what you want to achieve in life, but guess what, the end result can be AMAZING!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the