Skip to main content

My Story


Today, there isn’t going to be much of a Bible lesson, instead, it is the lesson that I have been learning in life this past 6 months. 

Pressing refresh on my e-mail yesterday I held my breath, no new messages.  Thinking the e-mail had been sent in the split second that it took to re-load that page, I hit refresh again.  Nothing…  All day I was checking my e-mail obsessively waiting for news that would change my life as I know it.  Either I would be going to Grad School, or I would be figuring out the new direction and purpose of my life.  Finally, when I convinced myself it was too late to get the e-mail, it came!

In December 2003 when I graduated from college, I had a small desire to continue my education and to get my Masters Degree so I could change the world.  I also had a much larger desire to be done with school and get one with real life, and that course of action won out.  After working at a florist for a short time and a plumbing company that turned into a marketing firm, we moved in 2005 to Illinois to be near family.  Working for a phone book company as a sales rep, then a not-for-profit as an administrative assistant and then to a staffing agency to hire and train people, I would never have guessed that life would bring me to where I was now.  In 2008, we were blessed with a beautiful daughter and again in 2009.  Staying home with them, I took on a part time, work-from-home job at the same not-for-profit I had worked at before.  That is where the small simple voice of God started calling me again. 

Over the years I have complained a lot about living in the middle of nowhere away from my family.  Although I have enjoyed the closeness of a small college community in town, I desired to be in a big city, near stores and restaurants that weren’t greasy spoons.  God was preparing me though.  That small college community is where I will be going now to get my Masters of Science in Counseling at one of the highest ranked programs in the nation.  Had I been living in a large town, there would have been no way that it would be possible for me to attend school while my children are in school or rely on friends and family the way I will be.  Had I been living anywhere but here, there would not have been that potential, God was using all that for such a time as this. 

In June, I brought up the idea of going to school with my husband.  He questioned things like, childcare, finances, childcare, where this would happen… childcare….  He told me to look into it.  Thinking I was being smart, I started looking on-line for on-line degrees.  There are some great programs out there, but an on-line degree in counseling, where you HAVE to be one-on-one to understand and experience is hard to find a good one and the ones that are out there are expensive. 

I prayed that if it were meant to happen, God would make a way.  Looking at our finances and looking at my schedule, it didn’t seem feasible.  I looked into the Eastern Illinois University- located right down the road, and I set up an appointment with the Director of the program.  I was sold in a heartbeat.  It would require full-time attendance, but I would be done in 2 years and 60 hours!  (YIKES!) Tuition would be covered by a Graduate Assistantship and childcare fell directly into place shortly after that.  Within a week, things fell into place.  I still felt a little unsettled so I prayed again that God would give me peace.  A little later, my husband encouraged me to go back to school and get it.  I was floored.  I was supported and encouraged from every direction.  Why was this so easy.

I started the next part.  I filled out the paper work, prayed over my application and sent it out.  I was accepted to the Graduate School but not the program yet.  It was August by now and the Counseling Program didn’t review applications until February.  FEBRUARY!  That was so long to wait.  I got impatient.  I started looking at other opportunities which God slammed the door in my face… 

I got the e-mail asking me to come to the interview that would be held March 1st.  Going there, I was nervous.  My nerves jumped even higher when I saw the massive number of people that had gotten to that level, heard about how amazing the program was and then was told that there had been another group come through earlier that morning and they only took 15-20 applicants.  By the time the interview was over, I was convinced I was not getting in.  I checked my e-mail every few minutes starting on Friday night and going all the way through Tuesday. 

By 3:30, I was pretty sure that it was too late in the day to be notified.  They told us we would hear back either Monday or Tuesday and it was late Tuesday.  I left my computer alone for the first time in days and went and took a shower then checked Pinterest (where you can get lost for hours).  I played with my kids and then I saw the (1) appear next to the email screen I had up.  My heart was pounding.  I clicked over and it said “Acceptance to the Graduate School of Counseling”. 

Now, I am not a patient person, but God has a plan.  If you are somewhere you don’t like or don’t want to be in your life- stick it out- God will provide for you.  God will answer you and lead you and hold your hand.  It is so hard to be patient!  I think I was dealt a very little portion when it comes to the gene pool, but God is faithful to provide.  So good luck with what God is calling you to- have patience, follow His guidance and His love and seek Him and be in His will.  There is very little better feeling than knowing you are following God and feeling His work in your life. 

Psalm 89:1
1 I will sing of the LORD's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the