Skip to main content

4th of July

Today is the 4th of July and, in America, we are all grateful for our freedom.  Freedom that was not free to get.  Many of our brothers, husbands, fathers, grandfathers, sisters, mothers, and grandmothers have fought to make and keep this nation free.  If they weren’t fighting over seas, they may have been a warrior to get equal rights for all.  Freedom is rarely free.  Many have died to give us this freedom and many have suffered to make our freedom possible. 

Our freedom doesn’t come without expectations either.  We are free to an extent, but not free to go out and kill someone or to just take whatever it is that we want whenever it is that we want it.  We have rules and laws to live by.  We have guidelines to follow and when we do not follow these, there are consequences for our actions. 

God gave us a spirit of freedom.  He gave us the option to choose freely what we do.  He let Adam and Eve choose to eat or not to eat from the tree of knowledge.  Throughout the entire Bible, there are amazing examples of the freedom of choice that God gives us.  He gives us a freedom to choose between right and wrong.  He then spells out WHAT is right and wrong in the 10 commandments (see post on righteousness).  So we have the freedom to choose, and when we choose incorrectly, there are consequences for our actions.  Romans 6:23 says, “for the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life”

Back in the Old-Testament days, the wages for sin was death.  There was an expectation if you sinned, you had to make a sacrifice to atone for that sin.  You had to pay the consequences for your sin with the best of what you had to offer whether it was cattle, birds or whatever.  You had to make an offering to become right with God again. 

Fortunately for us, we had someone go and fight our war against sin.  We had someone that went and died FOR us so that we wouldn’t have to.  Just like our soldiers go and protect and fight for us.  Jesus was sent to earth so that we would have freedom also.  He was sent to earth to fight our battle and WIN our battle against sin.  John 8:36 says “ So – if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”  We had someone fight the battle against sin for us, are we going to disrespect that sacrifice and sin? 

Galatians 5:13 “You my brothers, were called to be free.  But do not use  your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather serve one another in love.”   

So today, on the Fourth of July, we should honor those that have fought to make our nation great.  We should honor those that are fighting to make our nation strong, but we should also remember that our CHRISTIAN nation has a hero too.  Jesus is the soldier in our war- He is the rock of our Salvation – the one that we need to remember always also – that he died on the cross for our sins and has won the war on sin in our lives.  Now lets honor Him and live a life for Him like we honor our soldiers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the