Skip to main content

Majority Rules

I have learned a lot having multiple kids at my house this week.  1) They are really good kiddos – 2) you can’t cater to everyone all the time.  The middle children inevitably want the same toy.  As soon as one of the kids starts playing with one thing – they ALL want it.  Even if it is a baby’s toy.  3) kids are very imaginative and 4) the majority rules!!!

Usually at my house I have a 3 year old that speaks very well and an almost 2 year old that is just learning how to speak.  There are fights over toys etc… but the younger one can’t really voice her opinion yet.  Now, with a 9, 8, 6, 3 and 1.5 I have a lot of difference of opinions here.  It is a good learning experience for me. 

One thing that I have learned is that sometimes the majority is great to rule.  Sometimes, you have to do turns and say who gets to do what and sometimes you have to be a dictator and tell them what to do.  They might all tell me that they want to go swimming, but if it is pouring down rain or 9:00 at night– I am going to say that it is a better idea to go to bed at that time.  I am telling them what will be best for them in the long run. 

The Israelites were wandering the desert for years and years and years.  They were hot, sweaty, sandy, stinky, nasty and they were cranky!!!!!  Frankly, I think that sand is comfortable to sleep in since it molds to you, but I doubt that they felt that way.  They continued life though, they had new babies and life was going on.  After wandering the desert for many, many years and loosing their leader, Moses, God decided that the Israelites were ready. 

The desert was all that the new generation knew about.  They had never lived in Egypt as slaves, they had only heard of the miracles that God performed with the red sea and the plagues.  Can you imagine being told by your parents about these amazing things that had happened.  Would you have believed them? 

God chose a new leader after Moses passed on, his name was Joshua.  There is a whole book in the Bible just about this man and his awesome adventures.  All of us have heard the story about Joshua and the battle at Jericho.  My favorite rendition is the Veggie Tales Version “Josh and the Big Wall”.  But honestly, if you think about this really hard.  Jericho is this huge city, surrounded by walls that no one can penetrate.  In the world’s standards they may have one of the strongest cities in the world as far as protection goes. 

The story of this is in Joshua 6.  Put yourself in the shoes of the Israelites.  How crazy did Joshua have to think that you were?!?!?!  You want me to do WHAT?  The command to march around the city for 6 days and then on the 7th march around 7 times and blow your horns.  I am sure the Isrealites were thinking things like- we are an amazing army, does God not think that we can defeat them?  What is marching going to do?   I highly doubt that everyone was on board for it from the get-go.  I know that I would have been questioning the logic there.

But they followed- in this case the majority did not rule and they followed God and they won the battle.  They didn’t even have to FIGHT the battle, they just had to march and everyone in the city was destroyed.  How cool is that?  They had to step out on faith, even though they didn’t have a clue what was going to officially happen, they had to step out in faith. 

Joshua was leading a nation, a nation that was of God and for God and fortunately, was willing to listen to God.  When we were younger, we followed our parents to do some crazy things, even if we didn’t know where they were taking us, and usually it ended up being a good thing…  If you read my “Its my party and I’ll cry if I want to” post about my dad taking me out to NYC for my birthday when I was 18, I went with him not knowing where I was going and it was awesome. 

I think that as kids, we understand that if an adult says something that we are SUPPOSED to do it.  If an adult tells us to do something – that we NEED to do it for specific reasons.  I think once we become a teenager and get to 18, that all changes- we think that we know best.  Multiple times throughout the Bible Jesus tells us to be like little children- I have posted about that in the past too- I think that we need to be like children and know that even if we have a majority vote, it might not always be right. 

God has given us free will so we can go in the corner and throw a fit if we don’t like what He is telling us to do, or we can do it the first time and save a lot of time and effort.  We can listen to God and let Him lead us, follow Him through the highs and lows in life and surround ourselves with His people and in that way – we know that when we need to ask for direction- our vote will be with His and we will be in the majority and not question Him.  I personally am so grateful for the kids here this week – we are having a lot of fun and it is making me re-evaluate my relationship with God.  Kids rock!

Comments

  1. Gret blog, perfectly said! I love the story of Joshua so simply told in a video Miss Patty Cake. It's a catchy little song. I love all her videos! She explains what God told Joshua to do then they sing & march
    ("we've got to be an army march like this", Here we goooo)
    Go Go Joshua, lead your army Go! around, and around and around and around the walls of Jerico! Go Go Joshua lead your army Go around, and around, and around and around the walls of Jerico 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 blow the trumpets up to heaven give a shout look about all around the walls fall down (Sung once more, and the kids march, doing all the motions ....soo cute I highly recommended ALL Miss Patty cake Videos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the