Skip to main content

Stong Willed

Has anyone else ever noticed that it is the people that we are the most similar with that we sometimes can’t get along with AT ALL…  Well for me, that is the case.  Those that are leaders and bossy (like me) can’t handle being bossed around unless they want to be.  Those that are quiet and don’t take charge, can’t hang out with others that are that way because they get bored.  Some people are middle of the road and can get along with everyone, man how I wish that was my chemistry make up.

I had a revelation yesterday – my oldest daughter is JUST like me.  She wants what she wants, when she wants it and wont listen to anything, or anyone telling her no.  She will do what she wants, how she wants to.  She is strong willed.  I am strong willed.  It leads to quite a few personality clashes.  There isn’t anything wrong with being strong willed.  It can be quite an amazing quality.  Some of the greatest leaders have been strong willed.  It is when two strong wills collide that it makes for a hard time.

The little things in life annoy me, like her not listening to when I tell her not to do something.  She knows that I told her not to, but she does it anyway – then if I don’t give her attention, she informs me that she did it to get attention, even bad.  We have tried punishments and I don’t know how many more punishments I can take.  So not only is she a strong willed child, but she is wanting to be the center of attention.  Could she be any more like me?  HAHAHA… 

God really laid this on my heart yesterday because she really is a good kid.  And she is a kid, she can’t help that her chemistry is that way.  I shouldn’t want to change her so that I can control her.  I should love the little personality that God gave her.  I have been going to bed frustrated many evenings from a horrible bed time routine, or her getting out of bed 3 times to ask me to cover her up (even though she was covered up) or to turn her noise maker on, then louder…  My husband is extremely patient, seriously he is pretty close to the perfect man, he constantly is reminding me that my daughter is just a kid.  She is just being a kid- so it occurred to me that it isn’t her fault yesterday.  Yes, it took me that long to realize that she wasn’t doing it to annoy me, I think I knew it but never grasped it. 

I am in control of my own actions and reactions.  God put on my heart 1st Corinthians 13:4-5 “Love is PATIENT, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is NOT SELF SEEKING, it is NOT EASILY ANGERED , it KEEPS NO RECORD OF WRONGS.”

I LOVE my child.  If you see her and hang around her for 2 seconds, it is hard NOT to love her.  I have not be demonstrating my love to her.  I have not been showing her what love is.  She needs to be disciplined when doing something bad, but when it is harmless, or a silly reason, I just need to show patience, it isn’t about me.  My life needs to be about God 1st – and he told me to love- then it needs to be about others 2nd (namely my kiddos since they are who I am always with) and then I am 3rd. 

As hard as it is to admit, and although I have said it many times, the world doesn’t revolve around me.  I have said it hundreds of times, I just need to be reminding myself of it at all times!  Happy day y’all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the