Skip to main content

BIG Hearts!

I have some amazing people in my life.  They have the biggest hearts of anyone that I know.  They will drive across town to give you a small token, they will help feed the hungry, help their friends out no matter what.  They have really made an impact on my life.  I used to throw elaborate parties for people and really put 110% into making others happy, then I got tiered of being stepped on and being taken advantage of.  There were times that I would feel like a door mat for those that don’t have that spirit and, unfortunately, I really lost that spirit in the last year or so. 

It hurts when your heart is so big.  It hurts when you try so hard to make it right for others and then nothing is done in return for you.  It just plain hurts!  You can take those people out of your life, but they aren’t intending to hurt you, they just have a lot of other things on their plate.  Having now been on both sides of the situation (the receiving and getting), I have noticed some things:  First, you have to take care of yourself, but you do that through God’s word; Second, you have to hold people responsible for their actions so that they can grow up also and; Third, I have realized that I need to get back to my giving nature. 

There is a great story in Luke 12: 41-48.  I realize that it is long but here we go…

41 Peter asked, “Lord, are you telling this parable to us, or to everyone?”
 42 The Lord answered, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom the master puts in charge of his servants to give them their food allowance at the proper time? 43 It will be good for that servant whom the master finds doing so when he returns. 44 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 45 But suppose the servant says to himself, ‘My master is taking a long time in coming,’ and he then begins to beat the other servants, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk. 46 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.
   47The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48 But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

The Lord has entrusted us with His treasure.  The Lord has entrusted us with this world and His people.  He didn’t make it just for us, He made it for everyone on this earth, past and present.  We have known our Master’s will and if we do not get ready and do not help others, we will suffer the consequences.  Now I personally don’t know what the consequences are, but I don’t want to find out either. 

The biggest thing that has come out of this study for me is that if you are given a big heart, God expects a lot out of you.  Not everyone has a heart the size of Texas, but I know quite a few that do.  We have to use the “heart” that God has given us to do what His word says to do. To those that have been entrusted with that gift, much will be asked of them. 

For me, I know that I need to find the heart that I put on ice.  I need to thaw it and let it grow again and burn with passion for the people of the earth.  For those that already have this amazing gift, don’t let the world get you down.  God expects great things from you, he gifted you with this gift and if you sit back (like I have been) and squander it, then what is in store for you?

Comments

  1. Great one! I can relate..big giving heart..
    little to nothing in return, it hurts! So I "hid" it as to not get hurt, stopped using it to it's "full ability" (as God would "wish" I did) And this is what it makes me think of:
    Matthew 25
    And unto 1 he gave 5talents, to another 2, and to another 1; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey. Then he that had received the 5 talents went & traded with the same, & made them other 5 talents. And likewise he that had received 2, he also gained other 2. But he that had received 1 went & digged in the earth, & hid his lord's money. After a long time the lord of those servants cometh,& reckoneth with them. And so he that had received 5 talents came & brought other 5 talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me 5 talents: behold, I have gained beside them 5 talents more. His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. He also that had received 2 talents came & said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me 2 talents: behold, I have gained 2 other talents beside them. His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Then he which had received the 1 talent came & said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, & gathering where thou hast not strawed: And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine. His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked & slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, & then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath 10 talents. For unto every one that hath shall be given,& he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. & cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: ... Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, & ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, & ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, & ye clothed me: I was sick, & ye visited me: I was in prison, & ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, & fed thee? or thirsty, & gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, & took thee in? or naked, & clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, & came unto thee? & the King shall answer & say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil & his angels: For I was an hungred, & ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, & ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, & ye took me not in: naked, & ye clothed me not: sick, & in prison, & ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.& these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the