Skip to main content

Smelly Puppies...

In the middle of December we welcomed 4 little puppies into our lives…  Our female dog gave birth to them at 3:00 am and since then, a lot has changed.  As they have gotten older and bigger, their eyes have opened, their curiosity peeked, and it has been interesting to watch the development.  The worse part about having multiple puppies is that you have to clean up multiple potty and poo accidents.  We have been keeping them in a caged area in our kitchen.  We keep them in one of those puppy pens with 6 sides, although, we don’t have it fully extended. The small area that they live in is constantly stinky.  There is the potty smell that permeates my entire house. 

Since the puppies have wanted to play, I have started letting them out of the caged area and into my house to run around (although they have been held every day since day one).  I know that they are ready to come out now as they run to the “door” or the cage and beg to come out when they aren’t sleeping.  Prior to letting them get out of their area, I take them all back to the utility sink and give them a good bath so that their stench doesn’t transfer all over my house and onto my carpets. 

I think there are a lot of situations where we are like little puppies.  We feel trapped in a small confined area or in a situation and there is no getting out of it unless our Master comes and lifts us out.  We have no choice but to wallow in our own filth until it is time to move out of that situation.  We are fed still, but the situation literally stinks. 

Perhaps God has put you into a situation that you feel like couldn’t get any worse.  You are literally stepping in your own filth and the filth of those around you and there is nothing that you can do about it.  You want to explore the world, but you feel, and are, trapped.  Even when you feel like you have gotten part of the way out of the hole you are in, you slip back or are put right back there again as soon as you taste freedom. 

What you have to do is ask.  Maybe you have to beg.  Maybe you have to sit at the door and plead with God to clean your life up and let you out of the pit.  It might not happen right away.  You might not be ready to come out.  Maybe you are going to make the mess you were making in the cage in the real world and the real world isn’t ready for it, or maybe you are learning to take the mess where it belongs.  Maybe it isn’t safe for us out side of the caged area yet.  Never the less…  ultimately, you will be let out.  You will be released from the prison as you grow and develop and learn new things (like going potty outside).  As you aren’t going to be in danger, you may be let out. 

Yesterday, our first puppy went to live at its new home.  A home where he is going to be loved and cherished by MANY young college girls.  He will be doted on daily.  He may be caged at night and bathed often, but his Master will take good care of him.  Think about God in this situation.  Maybe God is going to be taking you out, getting you ready to move on in life.  The pit that you are in right now isn’t pleasant, but it can be temporary. 

Lets pray that whatever pit we are in, wherever we are in life right now that we honor God.  That we ask him to give us a bath and wash the stink off so we don’t stink up the whole world. 

Psalm 40:2
“He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the