Skip to main content

Reality...

If you are like me, you like escaping into a good book.  Maybe you find yourself escaping into a daydream like I do.  Maybe for you it is a good movie.  Removing yourself from your own reality and putting yourself into someone else’s.  It is exciting, and not always bad, but it can also be devastating.  If your reality is something that you are not happy in or if your daydreams and fantasies are making your current situation look terrible, or your spouse look like they are not the one, then run…  RUN as fast as you can.  If it is causing you to leave behind the responsibilities of your current situation or making being a Christian something you are questioning, try your hardest to stop it.  If this escape is getting you into something that the “world” considers good and normal, but in reality is not pleasing to God, pray for strength to stop it. 

I say this because I have been talking with a friend that has been escaping into fantasies or daydreams and not keeping in touch with their reality.  They have been taking the time that they could and should be working, taking care of kids and family and household duties and wishing and dreaming they were somewhere else.  They have been making her very bitter to the situations that she is in currently.  I could relate with them because I used to waste so much time doing that. 

I am a daydreamer…  I love thinking of intricate stories (many of which do not even involve me) and thinking it through and feeling love and romance in my stories.  I have always been a daydreamer.  That is why I finally started putting the stories onto paper, so that maybe someday, sometime, (if my editing friends ever finish reading my story) that I might publish a story.  I used to daydream that I was somewhere else, that I was someone else, not a Christian.  My bitterness to my situation and the current state of my life grew daily.  I was bitter, I was easily angered.  I would get so mad at my husband. 

I was then convicted.  Colossians 3:1-17…  http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians+3%3A1-17&version=NIV since it is such a long selection, I have put the link in here for you to go and read it.  It says to set our minds on things above, not on earthly things… to put to death whatever belongs to your earthly nature…  I highly recommend reading the rest of Colossians 3 also, what a great chapter! 

Anyway – if we are of Christ, we need to be thinking of Christ.  That means that the books that we read, the movies that we watch, the daydreams that we have, need to be glorifying to Him.  I am as guilty as the next person as far as watching movies that are not glorifying to God.  I love Romantic Comedies, but most of them have sexual immorality and bad language.  I love a book, but most of them have bad language.  I am not saying that escaping is bad, I am just saying that if it is detrimental to your life and to the situation that you are currently in, really consider where you are and if you can handle that escape.

Don’t allow yourself to fall into the ways of the world and to be tricked into believing that the grass is always greener, because often times it is not.  What I have learned to do, since I love reading and movies and daydreaming, is to focus on what I have, only on the positive aspects of it and make my husband the super cute star in my mind (which if you have seen him, is not hard to do – hehe).  I also choose to see the reality of the situation.  Like the star that is being super romantic almost always has something else the matter with him, and if it isn’t evident in the book or in the movie, it is in a closet somewhere and the skeleton will come out soon. 

I write this because I know that it was, and is, something that I struggle with.  Leaving my own reality for another is something that can be refreshing, but when it consumes or changes your life and makes you bitter and angry in your situation, it needs to be put into check.  The Lord tells us to be joyful always and give thanks in every situation.  HUGS to you all – I give thanks for each and every one of you guys.

Comments

  1. WOW you WOW me with each of your blogs.i know you pray about what to write and i feel God leads you. you have such wisdom we can all take something away. I am sincere in my words, my admiration and I look forward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing

This past year, I have been learning a lot about balancing the books.  I am blessed with an amazing husband who has always taken care of the financial aspects of or marriage, including me in on important decisions and making things work and helping me to understand; but when you run your own (confidential) business, you have to do it yourself.  I would say I was doing okay, but it is HARD to get the right balance when you aren't used to it.  I have to be very diligent and stay on top of things or I have to go back and try to correct things and remember things.  It is really a challenge.  I am NOT a numbers or math person.   Then I began thinking about life in general, how it is difficult sometimes to manage and balance the times in life that are very busy or more challenging.  How often do we just let things slide and then go back and try to fix them later? During my reading of Isaiah 40 this morning, I was reminded that God is better at balance than anyone out ther

Daily Bread

I have a dog.  He is cute , but he is still a dog.  That means that he is reliant on me.  He likes me no matter what, If I am not around him, he flips out a little and has anxiety.  If others try to claim him or take care of him when I'm not around, he growls and barks at them.  My dog's name is Spike .  He is a Yorkie.  I promised my husband if he got me a girlie dog, I would name it something masculine so he wouldn't have to go outside and yell fru fru when calling our dog.  Spike knows that I take care of him.  He knows that my husband and I are the two that take care of him the most.  The kids try to play with him and he runs to us with the toys.  The kids try to take him out and he only comes back when one of us calls him.  He knows our voice and respects our voice.  He also is needy.  Like he relies on us to take him outside to do his business and to feed him and give him water.  Spike will let us know when he is out of food or water, he goes to his dish and bumps

The Easter Story with M&Ms

I am preparing for my oldest daughter's school party for Easter.  I was racking my brain trying to figure out a cheap, but awesome party favor to give to everyone.  One of the things that I love about her going to a Christian School is I can do things like this. I looked at all the Easter M&M Poems out there, and didn't really like them, they didn't flow quite right or, which may have bothered me more, they didn't go in the order they set out in the beginning of the poem.  We have a discount grocery store in town and they had large bags of M&Ms on sale for $1.80 so I bought a bunch and will be splitting them up and putting them with this poem that I made up instead.  It is definitely inspired by the Christmas one that is floating around out there and a few of the other Easter ones- so I can't take credit for the creativity of the M W 3 and E idea.... The TRUE Easter story isn't about a bunny - it is about a Salvation - about a Savior that died on the